The Reds hired Turner Ward from the Dodgers

in General Section Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:40 am
by laiyongcai92 • 313 Posts

CINCINNATI (AP) — as their hitting coach on Tuesday http://www.redsoxproshops.com/authentic-j.-d.-martinez-jersey , their second significant addition under new manager David Bell.Cincinnati also hired Derek Johnson from Milwaukee as its pitching coach. The Dodgers and Brewers played in the NL Championship Series, with Los Angeles advancing to the World Series for the second straight year and losing to Boston.Ward spent the last three seasons as the Dodgers’ hitting coach. They set club records for homers, extra-base hits and slugging percentage each of the last two seasons. The Dodgers led the NL with 235 homers last season.Ward is from Alabama and was attracted to the Reds’ job in part because it would get him closer to home.“The vision of what they’re trying to do, I can see it,” Ward said on a conference call. “I’ve been impressed with their offense. Also, add the logistics of being closer to home. Family is very important to me and it made it hard being in LA.”The Reds finished eighth in the NL in runs and ninth in homers despite playing in one of its most hitter-friendly ballparks. They batted only .227 with runners in scoring position after the All-Star break David Ross Jersey , contributing to another losing season. The rebuilding Reds have dropped 98, 94, 94 and 95 games in the last four years, their worst such slump since the 1930s.Bell knew Ward from their playing days and spent hours on Sunday talking to him about his hitting philosophy. Ward played 12 seasons in the majors with Cleveland, Toronto, Milwaukee Steve Cishek Jersey , Pittsburgh, Arizona and Philadelphia.“When I found out this was a possibility, I immediately got excited about it,” Bell said. “To Turner’s credit, he was willing to spend basically the entire day with me.”The Reds fired manager Bryan Price after a 3-15 start and decided not to retain interim manager Jim Riggleman. Dick Williams, the president of baseball operations Drew Smyly Jersey , said the Reds wanted to go outside the organization in its next step of rebuilding.“We went into the offseason committed to putting new leadership in place in the clubhouse, and interested in seeing where that would take us,” Williams said. “We thought some new voices in the clubhouse and a variety of perspectives coming in from other organizations would be a good thing.” As the Toronto Blue Jays start looking toward the future, they have traded starting pitcher J.A. Happ to the New York Yankees.New York announced Thursday it will send infielder Brandon Drury and outfield prospect Billy McKinney to Toronto. MLB Network's Jon Morosi was the first to report the agreement.Now in his 12th MLB season, Happ has struggled leading up to the trade deadline. After posting a 3.48 ERA through his first 14 starts, the 35-year-old has given up 21 earned runs and seven homers in 31.1 innings since June 20.Following a 17-12 start http://www.redsfanproshop.com/authentic-drew-storen-jersey , Toronto has gone 29-43 to fall nine games under .500 and 14.5 games out of the American League's second wild-card spot entering play Thursday.Per FanGraphs, Happ is tied for 17th among AL pitchers with two wins above replacement.Since Happ is due to become a free agent after this season, it made sense for Toronto general manager Ross Atkins to flip one of his best trade assets for future players to help the franchise avoid a long fallow period.Happ is no stranger to switching teams. He has been traded during the season three other times in his career, most recently going from the Seattle Mariners to the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2015.As the Yankees battle the Boston Red Sox for the top spot in the American League East, they need to find any competitive edge available. Happ fits what they need down the stretch and for a potential playoff run.The Yankees had to boost their rotation heading into the season's final two months. Luis Severino and CC Sabathia are New York's only starters with at least 100 innings and an ERA under 4.00.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 395 Guests are online.:
porrijamaxe

We welcome our newest member: porrijamaxe
Board Statistics
The forum has 47625 topics and 68686 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen